7.18.2008

The Red Tent


I just finished The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. I admit that I'm a sucker, but I cried.

I cried at the happy parts and I cried at the sad parts. The women of the Bible had to have stories that were never told, and this one, the story of Jacob and Leah's daughter, rings as true as any we may ever find on earth.

The Red Tent illustrates that then, as now, love is dangerous. You put a lot on the line when you give someone your heart. And there are so many things that can take your loved ones away. It's both terrifying and beautiful.

The women of that time celebrated marriage differently of course - but they didn't forget the important parts - family, food and a week of "alone time". :) One year to go till our day comes, and I hope I don't forget the important parts.

No comments: