I've only been natural for two years. At first, I was fiercely anti-perm + pro-natural. Now that I realize, "hey its just hair", I've been considering a relaxer. Don't get me wrong, I love my natural.
I love that...
- I can strike up conversations with women about hair just based on the fact that I'm natural.
- People assume you are confident or mysterious when you have natural hair.
- I get to display one of the awesome things that makes Black people special.
- I have the option to straighten my hair if I want to.
- I can workout and swim or run in the rain without some silly cap or paper bag over my hair.
- I can laugh at all the times my family told me I had bad hair.
- It doesn't require that much daily maintenance (important for a med school student)AND I don't have to depend on paying someone regularly to relax it.
- My hair has its own personality.
- I can avoid the unhealthy breakage a perm can cause.
See the photo evidence below for permed breakage and then naptural healthiness..
Check back tomorrow for Part II - For the Perm!